Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Whirlpool frig model WRF535SMBOO S/N K43206772. ICEMAKER

Customer Question

Whirlpool frig model WRF535SMBOO S/N K43206772. ICEMAKER ISSUE--HAVE REPLACED 2 ICE MAKER UNITS, THE INLET VALVE AND THE WIRE HARNESS FROM BACK OF FRIG TO THE ICE MAKER. UNABLE TO PRODUCE ANY ICE.
SYMPTOMS BEFORE TOTAL FAILURE--ICE PRODUCTION WAS MINIMAL.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.

The problem isn't going to be with your icemaker or wire harness or inlet valve as you already know because replacing those parts did nothing. The key here is that you said ice production was minimal before this issue occurred. This model has a very common issue where you have a freon leak causing the area around the icemaker to not get down below 10ºF. Now that's still well below freezing but it won't cycle and make ice unless it's below 10ºF and if it's only 5ºF or something like that it'll make ice very slowly. The desired temperature is actually 0ºF. The freon leak will continue to get worse and eventually affect the freezer temperature next, but this is a dual evaporator unit and you're going to need to call a technician to look at the sealed system because even though the temperature for the food isn't being affected yet, that is next. The icemaker is just the first symptom.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.