Joel Swenson
Joel Swenson,
Experience:  Owner at Scott's Appliance Repair
89799402

I have a Maytag dryer (Model MDG508DAWN) that the coils

Customer Question

Hello I have a Maytag dryer (Model MDG508DAWN) that the coils glows every 45 seconds but does
not stay on. Dryer is not dryer at all. Ifnthe dryer isnoff for hours the dryer
sometimes sometimes heat for a minute or so then the coils won't heat
anymore.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I'm Joel and will be glad to help you today.

What you see glowing is the igniter, it is how the gas is ignited, but if no gas is coming out of the burner then it can't ignite, so if the unit is trying to ignite the gas as it should and you can see the igniter glowing as it should but its not igniting then the gas valve coils need to be replaced because they are failing, the reason it works for a few seconds sometimes is because they work until they get hot and then close, which means they are weak and faulty. You can order the replacement coils from amazon at the link below, I realize that the part shows as a whirlpool part and that is because whirlpool makes all the maytag parts now:

click here to order replacement coils

and here is a video that shows how to replace the coils, its not your model dryer but its the same gas valve and coils so it will show you how to change them - click here for video

*******************************************************************************

The only way I get credit for the time I spend helping you is if you rate the answer by clicking on the star rating system at the top of your page 3 stars or higher. Since I have given you the initial answer I ask that you go ahead and rate the answer so I get credit and any follow up questions will be free and of course I will continue to help until your issue is solved. Thank you in advance.