Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

We have the kenmore 501 78353 refrigerator just recently the

Customer Question

We have the kenmore 501 78353 refrigerator just recently the freezer started defrosting on its own every now and again so we cleaned it and cleaned the coils in the back we unplugged it for the cleaning then plugged it back in now we hear a clicking noise a humming noise then another click no cooling and it seems like the compressor isn't running but get pretty warm
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

That clicking and humming is the key to your problems. This means that your compressor is overloading and cutting out. It will turn off for a few minutes and then try again over and over. Pull the refrigerator forward and unplug the refrigerator. Remove the lower back access panel and locate your large black round compressor. There is a small plastic box attached to the side of the compressor with several wires going into it. This is your overload relay. Pull the overload relay off the compressor and shake it. If it rattles, then it needs to be replaced. If it doesn't rattle, then you likely have a bad compressor and you'll need to call a technician in order to replace the compressor.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.