Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

My Viking Microwave VMOR205SS appears to be operating

Customer Question

My Viking Microwave VMOR205SS appears to be operating normally but is not heating
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Viking is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 2007
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: if I can
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

When you start a cooking cycle, does it sounds the same as it always has or is it much quieter or make odd noises (loud buzzing/growling)?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
sounds the same
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

Great, thank you. Do you have any electrical testing equipment, specifically, a clamp on meter to measure current draw?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I think the magnatron was already replaced about a year ago
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

Most people wouldn't but I figured I would ask! :-)

Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

If it sounds the same as it always has, the magnetron is likely faulty. The only way to know is to measure the current draw. It could be that the control is not energizing the high voltage components or a high voltage supply issue but usually that is noticeable by a quieter sound. If you have no way to test and want to attempt to repair it yourself, I would replace the magnetron. It may still be under warranty, though, if replaced less than a year ago.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
how difficult is it to replace and where can I purchase part
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

It is pretty easy to replace, you will need to remove the outer cabinet to access it. There are four screws and 2 wires, so it is easy to replace once you access it. There is a high voltage capacitor in there, though, so after it has been unplugged you will want to be sure to short across its terminals to discharge it before you remove the wires. I will see if I can locate that part for you. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

The link below is to the part you will need.

CLICK HERE

Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

I hope I have earned your 5 star rating using the stars at the top of the page! Please let me know if you have additional questions, I am here to help! Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
could you email info to***@******.***?
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

It has been emailed, thank you!