Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a GE fridge, I left the bottom freezer door open

Customer Question

I have a GE fridge, I left the bottom freezer door open almost 24 hours before noticing it. I unplugged the fridge for about 9 hours, when all the ice seemed gone, plugged back, and here is the problem:
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: The fresh food section at top some area got food frozen, and at the bottom freezer the ice cream doesn't get hard.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: its with in the year new the fridge
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

So unfortunately 9 hours isn't long enough to thaw out the vents inside the refrigerator and freezer. You'll need to unplug the unit and leave the doors open to allow the vents going through the back wall of the refrigerator and freezer to thaw out. Give it 24 hours unplugged and the unit will thaw out completely.

Now if you still have problems after this and the freezer isn't cold enough, make sure the fan back by the compressor is still running to cool the compressor of. Clean the condenser coils below the unit to remove all the dust and lint. Other than that the compressor just overworked itself and overheated and is inefficient if the freezer doesn't get cold enough so you'd need a technician to come check the sealed system and see if you need a new compressor.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?