Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

GE double oven. JGB870DET2WW. After about 1 1/2 years of use

Customer Question

GE double oven. JGB870DET2WW. After about 1 1/2 years of use the bottom oven heat deflector melts and drops onto the igniter, shorting it out. This has happened twice in exactly the same manner. First repair was done by GE using Genuine GE parts and GE tech. GE had no answers why this happened. Hoping it was a fluke I repaired it. I inspected the burner. It looks good. No one else seems to have had a problem like this when searching this problem.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

You'll need to replace the igniter and the deflector again for sure but something isn't right with the way your flame is coming out the burner or this issue wouldn't be occurring. Whether the burner looks good or not, you will want to replace the burner since this is the second time this issue has occurred. Then adjust the air shutter on the burner to make sure the flame is mostly blue with yellow flickers. The only reason the deflector would melt is if the flame is much too large back by the igniter.