Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.

My Maytag washer has black flakes in tub after using the

Customer Question

My Maytag washer has black flakes in tub after using the clean cycle. The hot water tank has been drained and this did not stop the black flakes. They do not appear when using the regular wash cycle
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: I am not sure about the age. I would guess that it is about six years old. The model is Maytag Bravos MCT
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: No I am a widow and need a authorized Maytag repair person
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The black flakes do not show up when I am just doing my regular wash
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

The black flakes would come from the outer plastic tub build up. During the clean cycle the washer fills higher than normal so the scum ring around the outer tub will start breaking down. You'll want to run a clean cycle with a product called Washer Magic which you can order on-line or pick up at Lowes. That will dissolve and clean out everything inside the washer so everything is clean once again.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Your suggestion did not work. I used Easher
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 month ago.

I am a different tech do you still need help?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Used washer magic still have black flaked just cancel your help and don't bother me again
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Cancel this service immediately