Webb-Guy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  maitenance tech at casto

I have a Kenmore drop in downdraft range Mod #911.4698690

Customer Question

I have a Kenmore drop in downdraft range Mod #911.4698690 and we smelt like something (electronic) was burning as I came to the end of what I was baking so turned the oven off. The smell was very strong so we disconnected the stove. We removed the Clock/Oven Control (part #333007 in the parts manual) and there is definitely burning at R3 & Z3. I imagine I have to replace the whole control but my questions is - What caused it to happen. We are afraid to put a new one in as it may just do the same thing. When it went out I had two large cookie sheets side by side on the top shelf and they extended over the shelf (front) when I closed the door. Could this have cause it to happen?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to Just answer. My name is ***** ***** I will bethe one to try and assist you today.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry to hear your Kenmore was giving you trouble. When you were smelling the burnt smell was the oven on? It is a possibility it was a short in the wire. Do any of the wires look damaged when you took the part off? Melted, broken, chewed through?

Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

I sent you over the phone offer if you are still wanting the live phone call. All you have to do is accept that.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No I did not realize it cost additional money. I did answer your 1st text there was no evidence of any burning of the wires that we could see
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

What about the seal around the door does it look damaged or melted?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No. It looks ok
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

Ok give me a just few more minutes to try and look into something else for you then.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

Ok I am assuming you have checked to make sure that nothing fell into the bottom of the oven and could have melted correct?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have. Again I ask if it would be possible that having 2 large cookie sheets on the top shelf - they were actually touching in the middle and extending over the shelf into the oven door and then I had another (1) on the middle shelf and am wondering if I cut off the air flow if that could of caused it. AS I said before - I am afraid to install a new one for fear there could be something else that would burn up the new one.
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

I some how missed that in the beginning of your question yes that can definitely go bad because of that. It restricts the air flow and can cause things to go out like the control board. I don't know how I missed that in your original question. After you replace the board everything should go back to normal. You should not run into this issue again given you don't restrict the air flow like that again of course.

Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

I hope you have found this information helpful and if you have please rate with 5 stars at the top. If you want to be on the safe side just to make sure everything is ok you can always take the backing off the stove and inspect the wires around the elements there should be one on the bottom and one towards the top to make sure none of them look melted from over heating and if they dont then you are good to go with the new control board. Have you already found the one you are replacing it with or would you like me to find the part for you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Would that have caused the whatever they r called marked R3 & Z3 on the board to have burned causing the electronic burn smell
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

Yes it would have because it will over heat the process of the element causing the damage.

Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

If you need anything else please do feel free to reach out to me. In the event you are satisfied with this information and nothing else is needed please do rate with the 5 stars at the top and I will have this matter closed for you. If you have any follow up questions at any point rating does not stop you from getting back to me. If there is nothing else I hope you are able to enjoy the rest of your evening.