Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  32 yrs. experience servicing major appliances and HVAC equipment.
6636336

Jenn Air undercounter ice maker is making ice, but the ice

Customer Question

Jenn Air undercounter ice maker is making ice, but the ice isn't dropping to the cutter. It just sits there and gets bigger. Then I have to turn it off to thaw it out.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tom Goellner replied 4 months ago.

When the ice gets large enough there is a sensor that detects it and puts the machine in harvest mode ( the refrigerant redirects the hot discharge refrigerant to the ice coil and thaws it so it slides down. ) What is the model number of this ice machine ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The model number is ***** off. It's a 15 inch undercounter that's about 12 years old.

Makes it hard without the model number , but is similar looking to most all of these ice machines. Pull the ice machine out and look for a solenoid back there mounted on a refrigerant line , near the compressor. It has just two wires going to it. Remove the wires and using an ohm meter check for resistance across the two terminals - should be about 20 ohms. Let me know the results of this.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
38 if I'm doing it right.

Well wouldn't be .38 but you are getting a reading - that sounds OK . So the board is not energizing this solenoid , or the sensor is not telling the board. Let me get back in a few minutes.

Go to www.repairclinic.com and look at part number WP2217288 . This is Whirlpool's part number for the evaporator thermistor. When the ice starts forming and gets about 3/4 in. thick or so , this part senses it and tells the board to go into harvest mode. Now you need an accurate reading to test it with your ohm meter. Set your meter to 100k ohms - 100,000 ohms . This part connects to the board , but it MAY have connector outside the board you can disconnect and check it . First , at room temperature it should about 18 K ohms and then check again with machine running and forming ice. As it gets colder , the resistance should go up gradually to about 50 K ohms . If it doesn't or if the sensor has come loose from the evaporator this is the problem.

If you have no further questions please rate my answers. Or continue with what you've found so far.