Webb-Guy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  maitenance tech at casto

Randy 43, we have a frigidaire mfu20f3gw7 that's not

Customer Question

Hi Randy 43, we have a frigidaire mfu20f3gw7 that's not freezing properly. Fan is running, compressor is hot to the touch, high pressure line hot, low pressure line is cool, thermo control is turned all the way to coldest setting. We have frost inside some bags that doesn't appear to be thawing but things aren't freezing
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer my name is ***** ***** I will be the one who tries to assist you today. So lets do some trouble shooting. You said the thermostat is turned to the coldest setting?

The temperature control thermostat directs voltage to the compressor, evaporator fan motor, and condenser fan motor. If the thermostat is not working, the refrigerant system will not get power and the freezer will not cool. To determine if the thermostat is defective, rotate the thermostat from the lowest setting to the highest setting and listen for a “click.” If you hear a click, the thermostat is not likely defective. If you do not hear a click, use a multimeter to test the thermostat for continuity. If the temperature control thermostat does not have continuity, replace it.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The fan comes on as the thermostat dial rolls off to on but no distinct click.
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

The next thing we will need to check is the defrost timer. If this has went bad I can send you a link to an inexpensive part to replace it.

The defrost timer turns on the defrost heater several times throughout the day to melt any frost that may have accumulated on the freezer evaporator coils. If the defrost heater does not turn on, frost will continue to accumulate on the evaporator coils, and the coils will eventually frost over. In order for the defrost timer to turn on the defrost heater, the defrost timer must advance into the defrost cycle. If the defrost timer is not advancing properly, the defrost heater won’t turn on. To determine if the timer is defective, slowly turn the timer with a screwdriver or by hand. Turn the timer until it clicks. When the timer clicks, the compressor and fans will shut off. If the defrost thermostat and heater are working properly, the heater will turn on. If the heater turns on, this indicates that the timer is defective and must be replaced.

It sounds to me like its frozen up because you turned the thermostat up to the highest setting you will need to turn it to normal setting and move everything from the back of the freezer toward the front as well.

Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

Here is the link to the defrost timer that I believe will be the problem you are having.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I rotated timer clockwise, it clicked an fan turned off, continued rotation, fan back on and a few seconds later I heard an additional click. Could this be the heater turning on or off? And is there a voltage or continuity test I can do at the timer connector?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Also are we concluding at this point that the timer is in fact at fault?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How can I determine if the heater is actually coming on or not?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There is less than an ice cube's worth of ice on the left side of the condenser behind the cover. Doesn't seem enough to disrupt operation.
Are we still connected?
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

I apologize for the wait time I had to step away for a few. So yes I believe the defrost timer is at fault it actually is a pretty common cause with this unit. Luckily the part doesn't cost that much to replace.

Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

Hello again I noticed this question was still open. I wanted to follow up with you and see if you were still requiring assistance with this issue. If not please rate with the 5 stars above and I can have this matter closed for you.