Webb-Guy
Webb-Guy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  maitenance tech at casto
95800582

I can't get my Maytag Bravo Xl to go beyond lid lock. Wash

Customer Question

I can't get my Maytag Bravo Xl to go beyond lid lock. Wash lights up and nothing happens.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: about 1 year..bravo xl steam
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: actually wash is no longer lit up. Lid lock is flashing, estimated time is flashing.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I will if it is just pressing buttons.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer my name is ***** ***** I will be the one who will try to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear you are having trouble with your Maytag. The problem you are experiencing is

Your Maytag Bravos top-loading washing machine comes equipped with a lid lock that locks the washing machine lid in the closed position during the wash cycle. This lock acts as a safety mechanism to keep you from accidentally injuring yourself should you reach into the machine during the wash or spin cycles. When the lid lock fails it can cause the machine to produce the “dU,” “dL” or “lid” error codes and the washer cannot operate normally. Replacing the lid lock clears the error codes and allows you to use the washer.

Unplug your Maytag Bravos from the electrical outlet. Pull the appliance from the wall to access the rear of the machine.

2

Look for the three screws on the back of the control panel. Remove the three screws and rotate the control panel forward to access the washer’s control wiring.

3

Find the wires connected to the back side of the touch control. Trace those wires to the connector on the washer. Unplug the connector from the control board to release the control panel and place it aside.

4

Tape the washing machine lid shut. Measure approximately 6 1/2 inches from each side of the washer moving in toward the front center. Lightly mark the top of the washer with a pencil at the 6 1/2 inch marks.

5

Insert a putty knife into the top horizontal seam beneath the pencil marks. Push the putty knife into the seam to release the tension clips holding the washer top to the cabinet. Raise the top to access the lid lock.

6

Remove the two screws from the lid lock to release it from the top of the washer. Release the lid lock wires from the top of the washer by inserting the screwdriver into the metal retaining clips and prying them open. Pull the wires from the top of the washer.

7

Grab the plastic retainer around the lid lock wires near the back of the washer top with needle-nose pliers. Pull the retainer from the top of the washer to release the lid lock wires.

8

Move to the rear of the washer. Trace the lid lock wires through the hole in the top of the washer and to where it connects to the control board. Pull the lid lock wire connector from the board.

9

Position the replacement lid lock at the front of the cabinet top. Secure it with the screws you removed from the original lid lock.

10

Snap the lid lock wires beneath the metal retaining clips. Push the plastic retainer into the small hole near the back of the washer top.

11

Feed the lid lock wire connector through the hole in the top of the washer. Grab the connector and plug it into the control board.

12

Lower the top of the washer. Push down on the top until it snaps over the retaining clips.

13

Plug the touch control wire connector into the control board. Re-install the control panel over the control board. Replace the three screws along the back of the touch control panel. Plug the Maytag washer into the electrical outlet.

Things You Will Need

• Screwdriver
  • Tape
  • Tape measure
  • Pencil
  • Putty knife
  • Needle-nose pliers
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 3 months ago.

Hello I am just following up with you to see if my advice was helpful. If it was please rate with the 5 stars at the top if you have any follow up questions I can still be reached here on this thread.