Webb-Guy
Webb-Guy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  maitenance tech at casto
95800582

My whirlpool Cabrio top load washer shows an F54 error code.

Customer Question

My whirlpool Cabrio top load washer shows an F54 error code. I noticed the bearing was bad and replaced it and the seal. I still have an F54 error code.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer my name is ***** ***** I will be the one who tries to assist you today. So the F-54 code is

Motor Control Overcurrent

F then 54 flashes when the machine/motor control detects high current for the motor module.
Does basket turn freely? If not, determine cause of friction.
If basket turns freely, see TEST #3.

Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 3 months ago.

Just so we are clear this is test #3

TEST #3 Motor Circuit
This test checks the wiring to the motor and rotor position sensor; and the motor and rotor position sensor themselves. NOTE: Drain water from tub.
1. See Activation of Manual Diagnostic Test Mode, and check the motor and electrical connections by performing the Agitate and Spin tests under Manual: Motor. The following steps assumes that this step failed.
2. Unplug washer or disconnect power.
3. Check to see if basket will turn freely.If basket turns freely, go to step 4.If basket does not turn freely, determine what is causing the mechanical
friction or lock up.
4. Remove the console to access the machine/motor control assembly. See Accessing& Removing the Electronic Assemblies.
5. Visually check that the P5 and P10 connectors are inserted all the way into the machine/motor control.If visual checks pass, go to step 6.
If visual checks fail, reconnect P5 andP10 and repeat step 1.
6. With an ohmmeter, check for 16 ohms resistance at the P5 connector between pins P5-1 and P5-2, and also between pins P5-1 and P5-3. Also measure the resistance at the P10 connector between pins P10-1 and P10-7 and verify that the resistance is within the range shown in the wiring diagram on page 7-1.
If the resistance is correct, go to step 11.If the P5 connector resistance is much higher than 16 ohms, or the P10 connect or resistance is out of range, go to
step 7.
7. Tilt machine forward to access the bottom of the machine and the drive motor area.See Figure 1 on page 6-13. Remove the motor bolt, then the motor cover to access the motor connections. See Figure2 on page 6-13.
8. Visually check the mounting bracket and electrical connections to the motor and rotor position sensor board.If visual check passes, go to step 9.
If visual check fails, reconnect the electrical connections, reassemble stat or and motor cover and repeat step 1.
9. With an ohmmeter, check for continuity between all pins on the P10 machine/motor control connector and the motor rotor position sensor (RPS) connector. See Figures 2 and 4, pages 6-13 and 6-16.If there is continuity, go to step 11.If there is no continuity, replace the lower machine harness.
10. With an ohmmeter, check for continuity between all pins on the P5 machine/motor control connector and the drive motor connector.If there is continuity, replace the drive motor.If there is no continuity, replace the lower machine harness.
11. The drive motor and lower harness are good. Replace the motor RPS board and perform the Diagnostics test in step 1 to verify repair.
12. If the Diagnostics motor test in step 1failed, then the machine/motor control has failed:Unplug the washer or disconnect power.Replace the machine/motor control assembly.Perform the Motor Diagnostics in step1 to verify repair.

Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 3 months ago.

Hello again I noticed this question was still open. I wanted to follow up with you and see if you were still requiring assistance with this issue. If not please rate with the 5 stars above and I can have this matter closed for you.