Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert

I have a Viking refer that is not cooling, compressor not

Customer Question

I have a Viking refer that is not cooling, compressor not running
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Viking is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: model # VCSB423DBK
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: yes this is a variable speed compressor DC it have a voltage inverter the low voltage board supplys a signal to the inverter to tell it how fast to run the compressor I need to know what that signal is so I can test it the inverter is also supplied with 115 v ac and that supply is good also there is a green light flashing on the inverter (maybe a fault light ? ) it flashes 3 times.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 month ago.

hello , is the compressor completely cool to the touch?..u have 115 vac to compressor inverter board ?but nothing out ? ..if you have a meter do you get the same ohm reading on all the 3 pins of the compressor ,,top=left ,top=right ,left=right ..thx Randy

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the compressor is completely cool to the touch, I checked ohm value and I have 6.2 ohms all 3 ways, and yes i have 115v ac at the inverter. I asked in my original question how to test output signal from low voltage board to the inverter. Is it a pwm signal?
Thank Tim.
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 month ago.

hi , you check the out put to the compressor with meter ,but i can tell you right now the inverter board is bad have 115 vac going to inverter should have the voltage the compressor reqs on that plug in on the 3 pin connector to the compressor your compressor is good if you get the same ohm value on all 3 pins at the compressor ..inverter board is bad

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It is my understanding that the low voltage board tells the inverter board how to run the compressor, so how do you know that the low voltage board is good and the inverter is bad?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It's been 2 days and I haven't had a response from you? Do you need more info?