Webb-Guy
Webb-Guy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  maitenance tech at casto
95800582

Dishwasher will not turn on. Pressing the on button, I hear

Customer Question

Dishwasher will not turn on. Pressing the on button, I hear a click and 3 seconds later, another click followed by the same. It sounds like something is trying to start but maybe something is causing it to reset to off.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer my name is ***** ***** I will be the one who will assist you today. I am sorry to hear you are having trouble with your dishwasher. Lets try some trouble shooting tips to see if we can get this working for you again.

Dishwasher Getting Power?
If your dishwasher does not light up or is not getting power, check where the dishwasher plugs into the wall. Be sure it is plugged in. If the outlet the dishwasher plugs into is a GFI outlet, make sure it has not tripped. Reset the GFI if needed. (To be sure the outlet is getting power you can unplug the dishwasher and plug something else in to be sure the outlet is getting power.) If the dishwasher is plugged in and the GFI has not tripped, then check the breaker on the wall and make sure it has not tripped and is in the on position.

Defective Door Switch?
The next thing that could be causing your dishwasher to not start could be the door switch. This door switch is also sometimes called a door lock or door interlock switch. This switch is a safety feature and makes it so the dishwasher will not run if the door is open. If your dishwasher won’t start, then it is possible this switch is bad. This switch is located inside the door panel. To determine if the door switch is bad, remove the control panel, locate the door switch, and test it for continuity.

Blown Thermal Fuse?
Another part in your dishwasher that could be causing it to not start could be the thermal fuse. This fuse is designed to blow if the dishwasher overheats. If this fuse blows, it will need to be removed and replaced to make your dishwasher work. Most dishwashers have the thermal fuse located in the control panel area. To determine if the thermal fuse is bad, remove the control panel, locate the fuse, and test it for continuity.

Broken Door Latch?
The part that holds your dishwasher door shut is called a door latch. 99% of the time this latch is made from plastic. If this latch becomes broken or cracked, it will prevent your door from closing properly. To determine if your door latch is bad, inspect your dishwasher door and be sure the latch is not broken.

Defective Main Control Board?
The control board in your dishwasher supplies power to all components. If your dishwasher won’t start, this could mean that the board is bad. If you have tested and confirmed working all the other steps above, then the control board in your dishwasher is most likely bad and replacing it would be a smart option at this point.

Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 4 months ago.

I see that you opened a new thread to reply to me stating

Dishwasher will not turn on. Pressing the on button, I hear a click and in about three seconds, another click followed by the same set of clicks. It appears to be attempting to start, but sees an overload (electrical) trips a breaker, and automatically resets and tries again.

Have you tried checking the breaker or GFCI to make sure the outlet it is plugged up into is not at fault. I worry with the fact it keeps tripping the breaker can end up causing a fire in your home. So I am wondering if it is the dishwasher itself or the outlet its plugged into?

Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I see this question is still open and I was just following up to see if you require further assistance.