George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  Senior Service & Technical Manager at Allsorts Recycling & Appliance Repairs

The freezer my friend gave me had beek stored, unplugged for

Customer Question

The freezer my friend gave me had beek stored, unplugged for a couple years. When plugged in you can feel the vibration of the motor running, but it does not get cold. I wondered what may be wrong with it and if it can be repaired for a reasonable rate.
JA: What's the make and model? And have you checked the settings recently?
Customer: It is a Magic Chef, model MCUF3D and is aboutb4 years led.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If I can, but
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I may be able to or have my grand son do it if it is fairly simple. If not, I may need to get a repairman.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 1 month ago.

Can you tell me if the compressor is getting warm or is it getting hot?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will check tomorrow as it is not plugged in right now and it is 2 am right now. Can I let you know tomorrow?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I just plugged it in now and motor hums but so far is not hot.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The freezer was sitting unplugged for a couple years so I wondered if that caused the free on or what ever cools it to escape or just settle too much?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
CAs you can see, I decided not to wait until morning to plug it in and check it out.

That is what I am surmising; that the refrigeration gases have escaped and it may need recharging.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How do you do that or should I pay a repairman to do it? I do not want to spend more than I have to or more than it is worth.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I do not want to pay the extra for a phone call and I thought when I signed up for this it said it was a free month trial for the just answer program, but they charged my card for $23 already. What is free about that? I need to contact them to see what is up. I might as well take the freezer to a repairman to have him check to see if it can be fixed.