Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.

On July 13, 2014 I bought a Whirlpool Cabrio clothes washer

Customer Question

On July 13, 2014 I bought a Whirlpool Cabrio clothes washer Model WTW8500BW from Menards in Appleton Wis. I was told it was louder than a conventional washer. It was loud, but we thought ok that's normal. Well recently it started to spray what looked like grease from the bottom. A service tech from Advance Service out of Appleton came and said the drive was shot. He came today to fix it and left frustrated because he said it was so rusted he couldn't break the bolts loose. He said he's worked on appliances for 30 yrs and has never seen anything like that. Can't fixit he said. You need to buy a new one. This washer is 6 week over 2yrs old!
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 month ago.

One moment while I get some information for you!

Hello and thanks for using this service! If you are a JA Member I would like to personally thank you and welcome you back! I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly, I do not know your skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating from everyone especially our JA members.

This sounds like you had a leaking bad bearing unit from the start. The unit can be fixed though I do them all the time. It needs a shaft bearing seal kit and maybe a new Stator if it is really bad. The cost to do the shaft bearing seal kit typically runs about 350 dollars. If you need a new Stator add about 200. It can be repaired 100% but I would call Whirlpool and see if they will cover it for you as that should not have happened within that short of a time, but I have seen that happen.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am paid anything through the site and that will also get you a DIRECT LINK emailed to you to get back to me! are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!