Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

GSS251FPE WW side by side fridge running but not cooling.

Customer Question

GSS251FPE WW side by side fridge running but not cooling. Anything simple to check first?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.
  1. Is the compressor running?
  2. Can you hear a fan running in the freezer section?
  3. Can you see any frost on the back wall inside the freezer?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
A fan is running, not sure about compressor. no frost. Unit has been turned off, unplugged for a period of unknown time.
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.

Are you able to pull it out to remove the rear access panel to see if the compressor is running?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
not onsite
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.

Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I can and will when I return. If running, then...?
if not, then...?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
If it had frosted up, would it have shut itself off? is there a reset button?
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.
  • If you find the compressor running but no cooling, there is a sealed system issue, like a leak. That would be bad, it will be expensive and require professional service.
  • If the compressor is not running, it is likely to be the main control board has failed and is not energizing the compressor. If the compressor is warm but not running, the overload/relay start device on the compressor is likely faulty.
  • I will be here if you have questions after checking the compressor!

I hope I have earned your 5 star rating using the stars at the top of the page! Please let me know if you have additional questions, I am here to help! Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I don't know how old this fridge is. Can you tell by the serial #? If an older unit, will the repair by a tech be worth it, or should we buy new? R134a refrigerant Ser# *****
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.

Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.

It was manufactured January of 2004, so about 12 years old. Expected life is 9 years....