Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

Our 2012 Amana refrigerator model ABB1921WEW1 (no ice maker)

Customer Question

Our 2012 Amana refrigerator model ABB1921WEW1 (no ice maker) has ice buildup on the lower freezer compartment floor and sporadically leaks water on the floor. Last time this occurred we turned off the freezer compartment to remove ice and blew warm hair dryer air through the back grille to chase out some water (removing grille screws didn't allow taking it off).
On a previous refrigerator this problem was caused by ice blockage in a drain tube to the evaporation pan underneath. Does the Amana have the same mechanism for venting deicing water with a tube to a pan and is there a fan down below to help evaporation? Should we be squirting warm water through the freezer grille to help unblock a tube? What is the default automatic deicing schedule?
Thank you. ***** Webster, NY(###) ###-####
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for your question.

Hello and thanks for using this service! If you are a JA Member I would like to personally thank you and welcome you back! I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly, I do not know your skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating from everyone especially our JA members.

Answer:

That is a blocked defrost drain line in the freezer, you need to remove the items in the freezer section. Once they are all out remove the back panel INSIDE the freezer to get at the evaporator and Defrost Drain pan under the evaporator. You will see it is all iced over. You need to melt all the ice and that will expose a DRAIN HOLE towards the middle of the drain pan under the evaporator. Clear that out with a steamer, hot water with a turkey baster or compressed air Make sure the drain is working by pouring a half cup of really hot water down it and it should drain nice and fast If so put the unit back together and it will be all fixed!

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am paid anything through the site and that will also get you a DIRECT LINK emailed to you to get back to me!.....tips are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!