Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

Kitchenaid side by side with freezer on bottom freezer not

Customer Question

kitchenaid side by side with freezer on bottom freezer not keeping temp back of freezer is frozen with ice
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your KitchenAid is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 2009 kfis25xvms2
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I think its not defrosting the freezer it did this once before recently
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

If frost has built on the back wall, you have a faulty component in the defrost circuit. Do you have a meter to perform any electrical testing with?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Excellent! Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

The freezer contents and shelves will need to all come out so the rear panel inside the freezer may be removed. Once it has been removed, you will have access to the heater and defrost thermostat. Both may be tested for continuity but you have to test the thermostat before thawing so it is cold. I suspect it is the part that has failed, they have a very high failure rate. That thermostat is mounted in the upper right corner of the coil and is pictured and available below. If you find the heater and thermostat both test good (show continuity), the main control board on the back of the cabinet will need to be replaced.

I hope I have earned your 5 star rating using the stars at the top of the page! Please let me know if you have additional questions, I am here to help! Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
freezers been cold for about 2hrs I tested the t stat and it has cont the small sensor in the white plastic housing mounted inside the freezer has no cont the heater also has cont
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

The small white sensor is for the freezer temperature, nothing for the defrost circuit. So, if the heater and thermostat both test good, that only leaves the control as faulty. I will get you a link to that. Nice job!

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!