Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

We are having trouble getting our dishwasher started. We

Customer Question

We are having trouble getting our dishwasher started. We push the start button and the after a few seconds it doesn't start and the start button flashes and beeps. How can we correct this?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.

May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
GDF520PGD2CC model number
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.

Thank you! Does the door seem to close easily and latch securely?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.

Are you comfortable with some moderate disassembly and do you have a meter to perform any electrical testing with?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.

Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.

The video at the link below will show you how to access the door latch/switch for testing. Can you access the door switch and test to see if it is closing? Let me know what you find, please.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you. We watched the video but it doesn't tell me how to correct the issue now without buying a new part.
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.

Well, if the door switch is faulty, you won't be able to fix it without replacing the latch assembly. First we need to see if the switch is faulty by testing it.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
How do you go about that?
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.

Access the wire terminals and measure between them with the door shut, looking for continuity.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Has there been problems with the latch in the past? This dishwasher is only a year old.
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.

They do fail, yes. They are constantly in motion with the opening and closing of the door.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Well, it looks like we need to test the terminals and it probably will take some time so we will end this chat for now.
Expert:  Kelly replied 7 months ago.

Okay, just post back with your findings. You can turn the breaker off for 15 minutes to reset the control first. That may reset if it is control related but I suspect that switch is faulty if it does not reset.