Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

My Frigidaire side by side freezer side stopped cooling. I

Customer Question

My Frigidaire side by side freezer side stopped cooling. I pulled it out and cleaned the coils,they were bad. I hear a clicking a lot. the compressor didn't come on until I un pluged then pluged back in. Ice maker is really slow. Temps are at -6 freezer 33 fridge. something happened when it got hot. please help?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

It sounds like your overload relay was cutting out the compressor because the compressor was overheating. You cleaned the coils which is good so now you just need to leave the unit unplugged for 3-4 hours to allow the compressor to cool down. Plug the unit back in and make sure the fan is running next to the compressor. Other than that just give it time to cool down (24 hours or so). The icemaker cycles relative to how cold the freezer is so even though you have it set at -6, it's not that cold. You need to change the temperatures back to 0 and 38 and just give it time to cool down. if it doesn't get down to temperature then the compressor was damaged from overheating too much and the compressor would need to be replaced.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.