Webb-Guy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  maitenance tech at casto

I have a subzero that the ice melts and refreezes along the

Customer Question

Hi I have a subzero that the ice melts and refreezes along the bottom of the ice bin. ice retains some cube shape and the cubes melding together
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Sub-Zero is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 550, about 7 to 8 years old
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: my dad
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I vaccuumed the top and two sets of 3 cubes came out but they were very frozen. Nothing after that. before this happened the cubes were somewhat hollow and thin
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer my name is ***** ***** I will be the one who tries to assist you today. I am sorry to hear you are having trouble with your sub-zero appliance. I Am going to give you some easy trouble shooting tips and we will see if this can help. If not please feel free to follow up with me on this thread and we can look deeper into it.

Check the freezer light if this is applicable. Confirm that the light turns off when you close the door. While not all freezers have lights, the ones that do operate with a button or switch around the front edge. This switch is depressed when the door closes, turning the light off. If the freezer light is not turning off, this may indicate that your freezer is not functioning properly and requires service or repair.

Check the contents of your refrigerator and freezer to ensure it is cooling properly. Insufficient cooling can cause ice to melt and clump together. If the items in the freezer are not freezing, or the defrost cycle is occurring too frequently, you may have a problem with the thermostat.

Adjust the thermostat to a slightly colder setting and dump the clumped ice out of the bin.

Add more food or use plastic jugs filled about two-thirds full of water so that the freezer is at least three-quarters full if it is cooling properly but ice is still clumping. The defrost cycle creates heat that passes into the freezer. This heat is absorbed by the ice, causing it to melt. After the defrost cycle, the freezer cools again. By adding more food or water-filled jugs to the freezer, you create a buffer from the defrost cycle warmth to prevent your ice cubes from melting and then refreezing in clumps.

Dump the clumped ice into your sink, and check the bin periodically if you don’t use the ice maker regularly. If the ice bin is full for long periods, the ice on top weighs down on the bottom cubes, causing them to fuse and clump.

Move the feeler arm on the ice maker to the up position to turn the ice maker off if you don’t use up the ice produced, or you don’t need a lot of ice regularly. Move it back down to turn it on only when you know you will need ice.

If these suggestions work please rate with 5 stars at the top and if you still need further help you can follow up with me here on this thread and I will get back with you.

Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I see this question is still open and I was just following up to see if you require further assistance.