Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.

Sub Zero Model 532 (1989) 2 door refrig/freezer. Very recent

Customer Question

Sub Zero Model 532 (1989) 2 door refrig/freezer. Very recent repair cured refrig cooling failure problem; now getting a frost/ice build-up on panel on back wall of refrigerator. I suspect a door gasket failure/leakage is allowing warm humid air seepage. Might I be correct? Should I be able to replace the gasket myself? - handy but not an expert
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service! If you are a JA Member I would like to personally thank you and welcome you back! I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly, I do not know your skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating from everyone especially our JA members.

What was repaired exactly? Also is it a ball of frost/ice in the back left corner?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Not sure what was repaired, but two parts were replaced - first one that did not lower the temp over 2 - 3 days and then another larger part at the rear of the compartment, followed by a complete recharge of refrigerant. Seemingly working OK with setting at #4 - of #10 coldest (38 degrees F using a separate thermometer in the frig) for about 2 - 3 weeks, then ice build up began on panel covering coils (?) across the back wall lower down. Now set at #7 and reading 50 F.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Awaiting a response from Appliance Guru to my message sent Thursday, September 1, 2016

That sounds like the unit is low on freon can you remove the back panel in the refrigerator section and check the evaporator coil for frosting. If you check that and it is frosting just in a smaller section it is low on freon, the unit has a freon leak and will need to be charged.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am paid anything through the site and that will also get you a DIRECT LINK emailed to you to get back to me! are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!