Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

Samsung RFG237AARS Refrigerator. WHen dispensing water,

Customer Question

Samsung RFG237AARS Refrigerator. WHen dispensing water, leaking somewhere outside of the nozzle and running out onto the floor. Does not leak when not dispensing water.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer my name is ***** ***** I will be the one who tries to assist you today. I am sorry to hear that you are dealing with this leaking issue with your refrigerator. I hope we can figure out what it is that is causing the leak and where you can get the part (if needed to fix it) Here are some common trouble shooting tips to start with. If none of these seem to be the issue please feel free to follow up with me here on this thread and we will see what else we can find.

Cause 1 Clogged or Freezing Defrost Drain

If the defrost drain is frozen, the water will overflow the drain trough and drip down to the bottom of the compartment. This water can eventually leak onto the floor. Check the defrost drain to determine if it is clogged or frozen. If the defrost drain is frozen, thaw the ice. In addition, flush the drain with hot water to ensure that it is clear of debris.

Cause 2 Water Tank Assembly

Inspect the water tank assembly for any leaks. Be aware that the leak may be very small and hard to find. If you discover a leak, replace the water tank. Do not attempt to repair the water tank—glue will not stick properly to the plastic of the tank.

Cause 3 Water Inlet Valve

The water inlet valve opens to supply water to the dispenser and ice maker. If the water inlet valve is cracked or has a loose fitting, water will leak from the valve. Inspect the water inlet valve for cracks, and make sure that it is tightly secured to the water supply line.

Cause 4 Water Filter Head

The water filter head might be cracked, or the seal may be torn or missing. Inspect the water filter housing for cracks. If you discover any cracks in the water filter housing, replace it.

Cause 5 Water Filter

The water filter might be not fitted properly on the filter housing. If the water filter is not fitted properly, water may leak from the filter. Remove and reinstall the filter to ensure that it is fitted properly.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Some questions:
1) Where is the defrost drain? How do I access it?
2) Where is the water tank? How do I access it?
3) & 4) Same questions...
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

I am going to shoot you the users manual so you can have diagrams to go by

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Where are the diagrams that refer to the parts you referenced?
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry I was unable to find the correct diagrams for you I will opt out and see if another expert can be of some help. Thank you for your patience

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. Sorry to hear you are having appliance trouble, I know how frustrating that can be! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

I suspect the issue is with the water line in the door that is causing the leakage. Does the water come out the hole at the door hinge?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks for the reply. I am out of town. Or until Sunday, but the water has been coming out of the open area where the water comes from.. In other words, that opening above where the glass is - like the water jet is missing the glass. But the water jet into the glass looks normal, but leaking around it. Does that make sense?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

The tube has likely just pulled out of place in the holder. You can use a small drill bit to poke in the end of the water tube and pull it back down into place. Let me know what happens when you can, thank you. Safe travels.....

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Will check that on Sunday. Mohawks for the quick reply.Bill
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Make that "thanks for the quick reply". Not Mohawks....fat finger typing!
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Shoot, I was hoping I picked up some new phrase that I was a bit behind the times on! :-)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry, I'm probably behind you in "the times.."
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

My kids would probably argue that! LOL