Joel Swenson
Joel Swenson,
Experience:  Owner at Scott's Appliance Repair

My Kitchenaid isn't making enough ice. I tried opening the

Customer Question

My Kitchenaid isn't making enough ice. I tried opening the panel on the bottom freezer and there was a bunch of ice that I melted with a blow dryer, but it's still not making enough ice to fill the ice container. Make about 1/4 of the container.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I'm Joel and will be glad to help you today.
Please provide me with the model number of the unit you are needing help with so that I can give you model specific information, as soon as I get that information I will get your answer prepared as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience. Also can you tell me, was the ice you say you melted located on or behind the back panel of the freezer? If the ice/frost build up is on the evaporator which is located behind the back panel of the freezer then the unit has a defrost issue and is not cooling properly which is why the ice maker is making ice so slow, its taking it too long to get to temperature to harvest the ice.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It was mostly on the back around the fan.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Here is the model

ok if it was on the back around the fan then that means the evaporator is frosted up as well, unless there was frost covering the contents of the food etc, which would mean the door was not closed properly and the moisture from the outside air froze causing the frosting. However if the frost build up was only at the back panel by the fan that means the unit is not going into defrost as it should and will need to be repaired. I have provided the tech sheet for download below which shows how to use the diagnostics on the refrigerator so you can figure out what part has failed. Follow the directions on the sheet and run test 2 and test 6, if either test fail then replace the corresponding part they are listed below:

The freezer compartment thermistor is:

Refrigerator Temperature Sensor

Part #: W10316760 - click here

and the defrost bi-metal is :

Refrigerator Defrost Bi-Metal Thermostat

Part #:(###) ###-####- click here

If both tests pass and the defrost heater comes on then the main board will need to be replaced because its not going into the defrost mode:

Refrigerator Electronic Control Board

Part #: W10637219 - click here

click here to download/open tech data sheet

The only way I get credit for the time I spend helping you is if you rate the answer by clicking on the star rating system at the top of your page 3 stars or higher. Since I have given you the initial answer I ask that you go ahead and rate the answer so I get credit and any follow up questions will be free and of course I will continue to help until your issue is solved. Thank you in advance.