John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

We have a 15 year old 2-drawer fisher-paykel. the upper

Customer Question

we have a 15 year old 2-drawer fisher-paykel. the upper drawer is stuck. we unplugged, waited 10 sec and powered back up. no change. we pressed the child lock for 3 seconds to turn child lock on; then pressed it for 3 seconds again to turn child-lock off. no change. we ran the dishwasher again for a full cycle. no change.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your dishwasher? And have you run a diagnostic test cycle?
Customer: type is DD602I. i don't know how to run a diagnostic test cycle
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 3 months ago.

hello , that sounds like a control board issue , but i just want to advise you that those older F&P DD drawers are not nearly as good as they are today ..being that old they start to break down and parts start becoming brittle ..i find it becomes a mess if everything starts breaking , have you considered replacing with a newer version ?..any dishwasher that is 15 yrs old is way past the lifespan of any dishwasher , it may become a issue where you change he control today and the rotor 2 months down the road then the sensors or the heater asm ..3 months later ..or just running the other drawer until it goes ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
are you telling me your advice is to buy a new dishwasher? i was expecting a response on how to repair it
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
are you still working on a response??
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 3 months ago.

i said you can put a control board in it but you will crack the control panel and housing being 15 yrs old ,ive seen it happen every time ..thety arent worth repairing that old , ill opt out instead of negative rating

Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service! If you are a JA Member I would like to personally thank you and welcome you back! I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly, I do not know your skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating from everyone especially our JA members.

I am a different tech would you like some help still?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
sorry for the delayed response. yes I still like some help, assuming it's not "just buy another dishwasher"
my skill level: have an msee and am pretty handy.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i know i may have to buy a new machine, but before going that route, there may be a check or diagnostic i could run to confirm that it is beyond repair

Yes for sure does the drawer open on the unit?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the lower drawer opens. the upper does not

Ok if it does not open you will have to force it open they even say that in the manual, the motors may be bad on the unit, but you need it open a little ways at least to see the lights inside to do the test for the motors

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i don't like brute force - it will certainly break something. is there no alternative way to test or to release the drawer bu pushing a mechanical release?

Not on these you will not break anything I have done many of them it will just slide out stiff.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i tried, but it appears to me the handle or the panel will break first. don't understand what "slide out stiff" means. is there a way to take the whole unit out and approach the drawer lkock from the side/
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
are you still here?

You can grab the sides of the front and pull it open