Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a kenmore elite model #790.4670 that beeped and

Customer Question

I have a kenmore elite model #790.4670 that beeped and flashed error code F10 then locked the door while I was cooking dinner. Food is now locked in oven and I need to know how to unlock the door so I can retrieve my food.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Kenmore is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: The unit is about 8 yrs. old. The model I have on the manual is as follows(###) ###-####the unit is all black if that helps.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Would like to retrieve dinner out of the oven tonight so it's not wasted. So yes we will do the work ourselves if that's possible.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: We are very hungry.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

Good afternoon. My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your oven today. First let me explain your error. F10 means that your oven thinks your oven sensor is shorted. This is either a bad oven sensor or a bad display relay control board. You can't test the board but you can test the sensor. Open the door and remove the 3-4" long thin metal rod attached to the back wall. There are 2 screws holding the sensor on that you can remove and then pull the sensor forward until you can disconnect it. With a multimeter, check the resistance of the sensor at room temperature and it should be about 1080 ohms. If it's not, replace the sensor, otherwise you need to replace your relay board.

As for getting your door open so you can remove the food or test the sensor, it's not easy to manually unlock the door. You'll need to use a coat hanger and pull the latch assembly from RIGHT to LEFT by slipping it down between the door and the oven frame at the top. Force the latch over to the left and open the door, then you can remove the panel in front of the door latch and replace the latch assembly.

Now I do want to also add that you may need something stronger than a coat hanger to manually open the door. If you have an "L-shaped" tool like a cotter pin puller or allen wrench, that might give you the added strength to be able to pull on the latch and release it.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?