Joel Swenson
Joel Swenson,
Experience:  Owner at Scott's Appliance Repair
89799402

I have a GE gas dryer model# GTMP280GD0WW it doen't start.

Customer Question

I have a GE gas dryer model# ***** it doen't start.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: the number behind the door says GTMP280GDoww
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Yes, I cannot find this model number on your website. It is gas dryer and thedoorswitch and starter switch are fina
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I'm Joel and will be glad to help you today.

You will need to pull the tub out of the dryer and access the belt switch, if the switch is bad the dryer will not run. It is a safety switch so if the belt breaks on the dryer it stops running to keep it from overheating. It also may be the switch is fine but the belt is broke and the switch is no longer being depressed. The switch is mounted at the bottom right front side of the dryer just to the left of the belt tensioner arm. When the belt is on the arm has tension which presses in the button on the belt switch, when the belt breaks it frees the arm up and it moves off the switch. Sometimes the arm can get out of whack and even if the belt is on it is still not depressing the switch or the switch is just bad. If the belt and switch check out ok then the timer or motor is bad, if you are certain the start switch and the door switch are good. See image of belt switch location - click here

*******************************************************************************

The only way I get credit for the time I spend helping you is if you rate the answer by clicking on the star rating system at the top of your page 3 stars or higher. Since I have given you the initial answer I ask that you go ahead and rate the answer so I get credit and any follow up questions will be free and of course I will continue to help until your issue is solved. Thank you in advance.

sorry I meant to say the switch is mounted at the bottom front left side.