Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Looks like common issue. Frigidaire compressor made by

Customer Question

Looks like common issue. Frigidaire compressor made by General Motors locked up. Wanting to know if i spend the cash can the unit operate in a covered outdoor application? WE are Climate Zone 6 Missouri
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Frigidaire is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: I believe its between 1964-1967
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: NOWAY
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: What is the cost for replacement? Compressor only?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

So a new compressor would cost about $350 just for the parts but with all the freon and everything needed as well as labor and trip charge for someone to install it, it would be another $300 or so just to replace the part. That's a total of $650 to replace the compressor so on a unit this old it's probably not worth fixing. In addition to that, the unit is not designed to work in outdoor situations so while it may work for awhile, getting wet or too cold or too hot will cause the refrigerator to fail earlier than intended.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?