Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

My duet dryer started making a noise when drying and now it

Customer Question

my duet dryer started making a noise when drying and now it does not turn on. the dryer is 5 years old. Is it fixable?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

What kind of noise was it making before it stopped running? And do you have a full model number located on a sticker just inside the door way?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it was a whistle type noise. Now , when i push the on button, the light is on and it sounds like it wants to engage but nothing happens. Model WED 9150WW0. serial # NY5225615
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Ok perfect. So the whistling noise could mean that either your vent through your house is blocked or the motor is going bad. Now you'll want to check the fuse first and if it has failed then you need to replace the fuse and clean the vent through your house. Otherwise if the fuse checks good you need to replace the motor. Below is a link to a video on how to access the fuse mounted to the top of the blower wheel housing below the dryer drum.

CLICK HERE for video

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
what is the cost to replace the motor?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

The motor costs about $160 or so and if you had a technician replace it, it would cost another $150 to install the part.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?