Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a Whirlpool GMC275PD microwave with a burned out

Customer Question

I have a Whirlpool GMC275PD microwave with a burned out bulb. I can't find instructions how to replace the bulb in the manuals provided with the unit. Any suggestions?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Unit was installed in 2001. Model is the GMC275PD.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes. Further information - the model number on the sticker by the front door of the unit is 8538 793 54001.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I have plenty of experience with home repairs. I could not find any easy way to get to this bulb, however.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Good afternoon. My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your microwave today. I don't know of a manual that explains or shows how to change the light bulb out, but it's NOT easy. You must first turn the circuit breaker off. Then you need to remove all the screws going into the plastic vent panel just below the control panel (above the microwave). Next, remove the screws going into the vent BELOW the microwave. You'll need to open the oven door below the microwave in order to see the vent and remove these screws. The vent below the microwave will then pull forward and off. Now you can see 2 screws going into the feet of the microwave mounting the microwave to the frame of the oven. Remove these screws. You can then reach under the microwave, grab the bottom and pull the entire microwave out about 10 inches or so. That will allow you to replace the light bulb above the microwave.

Now if the microwave gets hung up on the control panel, open the oven door and remove the screws going into the left and right trim near the bottom. The trim will then pull forward and the bottom and then straight down. That will expose screws coming in from the right and left side of the control panel which you can remove and the control panel will pull off so you can remove the vent out of your way completely (the one above the microwave). Be sure to flip the circuit breaker off to the unit before servicing it.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.