Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a old magic chef gas wall oven. I've cleaned it and

Customer Question

I have a old magic chef gas wall oven. I've cleaned it and now my pilot light is out. Where is the pilot light and how do I light it? It's been working great!
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Magic Chef is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: U91B-4LX
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No, that's all I need it was in this house when I bought it.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

Good afternoon. My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your oven today. First, there is no pilot light on this oven. It uses a glow igniter and unfortunately they do tend to go bad during self clean because they get so hot. The igniter is mounted to the bake burner below the floor so below is a link to the igniter you'd want to order and replace to resolve this issue. Whether the igniter glows or not does not mean it's good. It needs to draw over 3.2 amps or it won't open the gas valve for safety reasons.

CLICK HERE for igniter

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
If it was working before I cleaned the oven, how can I try and see if the part will work?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

You would need an amp clamp. Then you would clamp one of the wires going to the igniter and if it's not drawing 3.2 amps then it's bad. I understand it was working before self clean but as I mentioned before these igniters tend to get weak during self clean and they fail due to the extreme heat. These igniters are only designed to last about 8 years or so before they just get too weak and usually it'll stop after a self clean cycle.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm calling a repairman, thanks
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

Alright well I'm sorry about the bad news today. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.