Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a Maytag 3000 Front Loading washer and it stinks. The

Customer Question

I have a Maytag 3000 Front Loading washer and it stinks. The clothes come out fine, but the washer stinks. I have washed it with the Afresh tablets, washed it with bleach as well as vinegar. Any other suggestions?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: MHWE300VW00. I would say its about 8-10 yo.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Was thinking I would unless I need to replace parts. Was hoping to just clean it somehow
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Nope. The washer itself runs great. Just stinks.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Unfortunately these front load washers are fairly well known for sticking like mold/mildew because they seal up when the door is closed unlike top load washers. They also store water below the inner basket all the time so it creates a humid environment. This is why they make the Affresh tablets and such. What you'd want to do is run a cycle with a product called Washer Magic which you can pick up at a Lowes store or order online. That will clean the washer out better than anything else, but after that you'll want to clean out the drain catch.

There is a drain catch inside the washer that you will want to access and clean if you're getting this drain error. To access the drain catch, tip the machine backwards and lean it against the wall at a 45 degree angle or so. Remove the 3 screws along the bottom of the lower front panel. The lower front panel will then pull down and off. There is a 3" diameter plastic twist cap directly under the tub mounted to the floor. This is your drain cap. Unscrew the cap and clear any debris inside the drain catch. Clean it out as best you can with a rag.

As a last measure, when you're washer is not in use, don't close the door or the odor will come back. Just leave the washer door cracked open so it can vent better.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks I will try cleaning the drain catch and the Machine Wash. I just noticed that I was charged another $23 on my card, do you know why?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

The total cost of this question is $28. It's a $5 good faith deposit to ask the question to make sure you have a valid credit card and whatnot, then the $23 is charged to read the answer.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Well that was not explained to me. I agreed to $5 for the answer, never agreed to $28.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

I'm sorry if you were confused but all of this was explained before you were able to ask the question.