Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Have a Samsung RB2155SH. It keeps going into "demo" mode

Customer Question

Have a Samsung RB2155SH. It keeps going into "demo" mode I've been told since the freezer temp keeps flashing -2. And neither the freezer or fridge are really -2 or 38. When I unplug the unit and plug it back in it shows something like 38 and 58. And immediately the compressors come on and it cools to -2 and 38. But within a few hours the problem comes back and it's flashing -2.
JA: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?
Customer: Samsung RB2155SH and about 8 years.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Maybe
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

So unfortunately the unit isn't actually going into demo mode or else the display would show OF OF on it. It is however acting up because the unit is warming up and it's not supposed to. You're not getting an error code if it's flashing -2 because the flashing -2 means that you have the temperature set to -2 but it's not reading the proper temperature. That could be a bad control board or an issue with your sealed system like an inefficient compressor or a sealed system freon leak. You'd need to remove the back panel inside your freezer after you have unplugged the unit and plugged it back in and let it run for 30 minutes or so. If the silver coils behind the back panel inside the freezer are lightly frosted from top to bottom then you need a new control board. If it's only partially frosted, you'd need a technician to come out and check the freon pressure.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It started happening in the fall when it was cooler in the garage. Also there had been a storm that knocked the power out and had tripped the gfi on the outlet. I will do what you've said and let you know the outcome.If it is the control board is that a repair I could do? And approximately how much do control boards cost. I took electronics in high school and college and thus have some basic experience. But I'm hoping it's sorta plug and play.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

The board itself is all plug and play and located on the back of your refrigerator behind an access panel. Below is a link to the control board for your model.

CLICK HERE for control board

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I took the back off like you suggested. It had been on for about 2 hours and took me about 10 minutes to empty it and take the back off. When I restarted it to do the 30 minute test the coils looked like the photos attached.I'll write back in 30 minutes but I suspect the coils will not be lightly frosted. Or perhaps it all melted in the 10 minutes.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

It could have melted in the 10 minutes since they just get a light frost when working properly.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok I waited the 30 minutes and it had light frost over all the coils top to bottom. I took a picture of the bottom right corner of the coils where I'd wiped away frost from the coil. I'm assuming g that's what lightly frosted is.Also too, a pic of some light ice hanging. From a couple which I assume was from condensation building while it was unplugged earlier.Oh crap. I did the fridge not the freezer but both the fridge and freezer would lose cooling. So I'll assume it's the control board. Or freezer not cool also impact the fridge portion? I believe this model has 2 compressors as well.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

There is actually only 1 compressor on this model but yes if both the refrigerator and freezer portion were being affected then it sounds like the control board is your issue.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok I've ordered it from RepairClinic for next day delivery.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

ok good luck

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Not sure if this changes things but ours is an over under. I was reading the RepairClinic trouble shooting guide and they showed a side by side with water in the door. Ours is I guess RB2155SH/XAA
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

I already know what model you have because you gave me the model number before so nothing changes.