Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert

I have a Maytag Side by Side MZD2766GEQ. I have replaced the

Customer Question

I have a Maytag Side by Side MZD2766GEQ. I have replaced the thermostat, and the fan. Water leaks out from under the front and the freezer bottom freezes up constantly. Has done this for years. I have a towel in front of it, and I knock out the ice in the freezer bottom. There has to be another way.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 month ago.

hello , that is a plugged freezer drain , if you changed the thermostat and fan you know how to access the freezer evaporator compartment , on the very bottom there is a trough , there should be no ice in that trough ,if there is? clear it out ....u will see a drain hole on the left ..clear it out ..push something soft and flexible through that hole foot and a half ,,then pour hot water thru that drain hole to insure it drains

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Well, I must not understand your answer, because there isn't a trough in my freezer. I took out the bottom basket, and the bottom of my freezer is solid. I have remover the entire back part where there is a grill, but I don't think you are talking about that. Please advise.Thank you,Linda
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 month ago.

hi , it has to have a trough and a drain hole ,,the coil frosts up and then defrosts the water has to be able to drain ..if you remove that rear panel the very bottom is the trough with the drain hole ,thx Randy