bonzaco
bonzaco,
Experience:  Owner at Dales Electronic
26760916

What was the final answer here?

Customer Question

http://www.justanswer.com/appliance/7vf09-samsung-wa5451-washer-stopped-mid-cycle-w-error-code-pe.html
what was the final answer here?
Category: Appliance
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The real question is given that I am getting error PE always, how can I determine if the clutch is really bad before I pull it out...
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer my name is ***** ***** I will be the one who tries to assist you today if I can. First lets make sure we are looking at the same model. Do you currently have a Samsung top loader or front loader? Is the model number the same as the question link you provided?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have a Samsung Top Loader Model WA476DSHA*
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 4 months ago.

The common top-loading washing machine typically uses a clutch system to move the internal tub. During the washing process, the clutch controls the tub's agitator and spinning, much like a clutch on a manual car transmission. However, this washer clutch can become worn or broken over time. This particular part is not a simple repair for a DIYer; it is good practice to hire a washer technician to repair this internal component. In the meantime, you can diagnose the clutch issue yourself by paying attention to certain washer actions.

A number of symptoms appear when the clutch is broken.

1

Turn the washer on so that it runs through a normal washing cycle, but do not place any clothes into the washer.

2

Listen to the washer during the water filling sequence in the beginning. Wait until the washer is full.

3

Listen for the agitation to begin during the washing process. If you do not hear the agitator moving back and forth, as noted by sloshing water and a hum from the motor, the clutch is most likely broken.

4

Allow the washer to continue through its washing cycle. Listen for the water to slowly drain from the tub after the washing process. Wait until the tub is empty. The tub should begin to spin rapidly. If it does not spin at all, the clutch is broken.

5

Listen to the washer's spin action, if it can spin at all. Any intermittent slowing of the spin cycle, denoted by a change in motor hum, can indicate a worn or broken clutch.

6

Listen for any squeaks emanating from the tub during the spin cycle. Disturbing squeaks are not normal and may indicate a broken clutch.

Tip

• A clutch problem can be difficult to diagnose if it is only slightly worn. However, if you notice that your clothes are wetter than normal after a basic washing sequence, the clutch may be about to fail. The wet clothes indicate that the spinning action is not sufficient to remove enough water from them.

Warning

• Do not attempt to hold the lid switch down during troubleshooting processes. Although activating the switch will allow you to peer down into the moving washing machine, injury can easily occur from the moving internal parts.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I understand how to determine by function if the clutch does not work however my washer fails on every test with the error PE before the washer does anything...
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I was hoping to learn how to test the wiring with a multi-meter as indicated in the previous solution that the wiring is more frequently the issue with the error code PE, in the experience of the solution provider.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** try this ~~

Unplug the washer and check the wire connections between the clutch motor and the main electronic control board. Reconnect any loose wires or replace the wire harness if damaged. If the wires are okay, disconnect the clutch motor wire harness and measure the resistance between terminals 1 and 3. You should measure around 2,000 ohms. If you measure infinite resistance, replace the clutch motor because the infinite resistance reading indicates that it's faulty

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I've been able to get the clutch parts off of the washer, but I don't see any part numbers for replacement...any ideas?