Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

GE Model PSB42YGXASV No cool air. When I turned the ice

Customer Question

GE Model PSB42YGXASV
No cool air.
When I turned the ice maker off, the compressor and fan turned on.
Compressor and fan running, still no cool air blowing in the openings of the freezer or refrigerator sides.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service! If you are a JA Member I would like to personally thank you and welcome you back! I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly, I do not know your skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating from everyone especially our JA members.

Can you check the evaporator to see if it is all frosted up, you need to remove the freezer panel to check it out.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Not frosted

OK is the fan blade attached as you should feel some air if it is defrosted and fan is running

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Fan on top is turning

OK so the compressor is running but the coil is not getting cold at all correct?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sounds correct.

Ok then the unit has a leak and is out of freon, the sealed system would need to be checked. The compressor will run and fans will run but the evaporator will not cool so nothing will cool at all since the unit has no freon in it. This is typically a costly repair and you normally will need a tech to check it out as you need gauges and special tools to check the pressures and such in the sealed system just so you are aware.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am paid anything through the site and that will also get you a DIRECT LINK emailed to you to get back to me!.....tips are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Tech came out and replaced compressor and coils. Imagine he replaced freon at that time.

I would get him back he may have sweated something wrong and it has a leak

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Been out 6 times. Can't figure it out.

If the compressor is running and the evaporator is not cooling at all you have a freon issue, you may need a different tech as this is not that complicated.