Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

I have an Amana ARB2117AS refrigerator (top ref; bottom

Customer Question

I have an Amana ARB2117AS refrigerator (top ref; bottom freezer drawer) that first froze such that air did not go up to refrigerator compartment (freezer seemed cold), then after unplugging for 24 hours turned on and air came up to fridge. Left on medium setting for more than 8 hours -- not cold enough -- then turned up dial but freezer overnight still at 34 degrees. Possible defrost thermostat/defrost timer problem? How easy to change. Already have parts from repair clinic. Other possibilities?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Can you hear a fan running in the freezer section? Can you see any frost on the back wall inside the freezer?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am not there now and trying to help tenant. I am certain there is no frost on the inside of the freezer as at last check with freezer thermometer it was 34 degrees. I believe there is air circulating through refrigerator compartment, which was not the case before we unplugged it for a while.
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Well, if you thawed it out for 24 hours, I would agree that any frost would have cleared and not built up. So, if the air is flowing well throughout the cabinet, we need to see if the compressor is running as it should be. If it is, then it may be low on refrigerant. IN 8 hours, it should be well below freezing in the freezer. Any chance you can find out about that fan inside, if the compressor is running and if they are hearing any odd noises, like humming/buzzing followed by a heavy click?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I beleive you are trying to find if the compressor is clicking on/off and I believe not. After being off inside was room temp warm and after restarting we figured all was fine as cool air was circulating to both freezer and fridge. But when checking with a freezer thermometer, it soon went to 44 degrees and 34 degrees but it seems, at least as of yesterday, no cooler. I presume some cooling is taking place and compressor must be running or certainly able to run in thermostat allow. Would defrost timer and/or defrost thermostat cause this?
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

The control would just toggle the compressor on and off, but only about every 8 hours that the compressor runs. It sounds like it may be low on refrigerant if it ran for 8 hours and only pulled to 34*. The key will be to access the evaporator coil behind the rear wall inside the freezer. If there is only a small area of frost and not on the entire coil, then the refrigerant level is low. If you can post a picture of that evaporator coil, I will be able to tell right away.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Will see if I can contact tenant to check.
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Okay, thank you.