Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

My Whirlpool Thin Twin washer stopped working. The dryer

Customer Question

My Whirlpool Thin Twin washer stopped working. The dryer still runs, but the washer will not start at all. Yesterday, when it first stopped, I was able to get it going again by pulling it away from the wall and then fiddling with the knobs, it started working again. Today, midway through a wash cycle, it stopped. Now, it has a full tub of water and the washer will not start, spin, or drain.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service! If you are a JA Member I would like to personally thank you and welcome you back! I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly, I do not know your skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating from everyone especially our JA members.

Answer:

Normally that is either a bad lid switch or bad timer contact, check the lid switch first to see if it is working, if it is I would change out the timer then. If it is not change the lid switch out on the unit that is the most common failure on that machine for that issue.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am paid anything through the site and that will also get you a DIRECT LINK emailed to you to get back to me!.....tips are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Is there an easy way to check the lid switch? I tried depressing the lid switch with a pen and cycling through the washer controls, but nothing happened.

Can you hear the switch click?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

OK move the timer dial from side to side and up and down with it pulled out does it start?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No, that didn't seem to do anything.However, the washer did start back up when I turned on the dryer at the same time as I tried to run the washer. When I stopped the dryer, the washer also stopped. It seems like it might be some sort of wiring or connection that isn't working properly. Any idea where to check?

That would be hard to say you may have a shorted wire, you should check in the console and look at all the wires there maybe one is broken or shorted causing that issue.