Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

I have a maytag mfi2568aes and the water button does not

Customer Question

i have a maytag mfi2568aes and the water button does not work. occasionally i can get the button to work but rarely. also the reset filter order light is on and will not reset when i hold for three seconds. are these problems related? thanks
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: i really do not know age since i just bought the house and the fridge was here already. the serial number is *****
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: if i can
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no just that i am thirsty and would like water to come out of my fridge :-)
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

What do you do to get the button to work or does it just work when it wants to?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I took the filter out n put it back in then it worked but now
It won't.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Do you hear the valve humming/buzzing when the button is pushed if you place an ear to the cabinet?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Okay, so the valve is not likely getting energized. That would make sense, given the filter reset is not working, either. Do you have a meter to test voltage with to see if the valve is getting energized?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No but if I did where would I test it?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

The valve is mounted inside the refrigerator, behind the rear wall on the right side. I suspect the main control may be faulty, given the erratic operation of the valve and the inability to reset the filter light. These controls have a very high failure rate. Testing the voltage at the valve would confirm that, or you could even test at the board on the back of the cabinet. If you get a meter I can help with testing. The board I suspect is faulty is available below.