John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

Glef384gba left burner was bad, replaced it with 316555800,

Customer Question

glef384gba left burner was bad, replaced it with###-##-#### now control switch power light stays on, but I don't get any power to burner in either small or large setting
JA: Have you tried power cycling the appliance -- unplugging it and leaving it off for a few hours?
Customer: no I have not, I will give that a try, I even replaced the control also
JA: What are all the symptoms of the problem (error codes, flashing lights, etc.)?
Customer: i replaced burner because the small portion would not come on, the outer ring would heat in large setting, checked burner with ohm meter it was open and i found the break, replaced burner, now no power to either small or large, but the heat light stays on
JA: What happened just before this problem started? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: the small setting stopped working, checked burner with meter and visually, found break, at that time only outer ring would heat on large setting, changed element, now light indicater stays on but neither small or large ring heats
JA: Anything else you want the appliance expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service! If you are a JA Member I would like to personally thank you and welcome you back! I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly, I do not know your skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating from everyone especially our JA members.

Do the other burners still work?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
range works fine, only left element problem

Are you sure you got the correct switch?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Not at this time
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
all replacement parts correct and are not generic brands
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Power problem started when I replaced element

OK are you sure you have the element wire properly?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
took element back out and rechecked it, element good, wired right, wired it axactly as the old one was, control checks out, checked wiring from control to element, all good, in original contact the question was had I left it unplugged for awhile, is this a valid question on a stove

Yes do you own a volt meter?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have a volt meter

Test across the two wires to the element for 240 volts with it on.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Had to go to work, will resume tomorrow

ok no problem