Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a Kenmore Top Freezer refrigerator that is about 11

Customer Question

I have a Kenmore Top Freezer refrigerator that is about 11 years old and came with my house when I purchased it 2 years ago. For the past 2 weeks there is a very strong chemical type odor (kind of like nail polish) in both the fridge section and the freezer. It's strongest in the freezer and after cleaning out both sections and placing trays of baking soda the odor is getting stronger.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

If it is still cooling, there is likely something that has been melted by the defrost heater that is causing the odor.

1. Are you able to remove the rear cover from the inside of the freezer to get a look at the heater area?
  2. May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?