George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  Senior Service & Technical Manager at Allsorts Recycling & Appliance Repairs

Please, I have a 6 burner Viking Professional top. 4 of the

Customer Question

please, I have a 6 burner Viking Professional cook top. 4 of the 6 light and burn fine, but two won't light no matter what I do. Any ideas? They worked fine up until a couple of days ago.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Viking is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 8 years approximately
JA: What are all the symptoms of the problem (error codes, flashing lights, etc.)?
Customer: It is a gas burner, there are no warning codes
JA: What happened just before this problem started? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I usually clean the whole cook top and clean the igniters, that usually fixes the problem, not this time though
JA: Anything else you want the appliance expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No other information, thank uou
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 1 month ago.

The igniters on your cooktop are on cables that run to a re-ignition module which gives them power..

The power is called-for by the switch behind the knob on the gas valve stem for the particular burner you are wishing to ignite operating as you turn the knob.

The likelihood is that either:

• the ignition cable from the re-ignition module is defective or shorting internally,
  • the switch on the valve stem for that particular burner is defective.
  • the re-ignition module is the cause

If you have been cleaning the cooktop then there is a possibility that you have allowed the igniters to become damp and therefore caused the spark to short circuit and not reach the end of the igniter.

Use a hair dryer on them to warm them... This will discard any ingressed moisture, thereby lessening the likelihood of short circuiting sparks.

If this does not work, you will need an engineer to dismantle the product for inspection & testing.

Please let me know if you still have problems.. otherwise, please take the time to rate my assistance using the stars provided (5 stars is best) at the top of the page, as it is the only way I get credited for responding to you.