Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

I have an MDG2700 bought used. It worked when i checked it

Customer Question

I have an MDG2700 bought used. It worked when i checked it to buy it but not when i got it home. Cycle dial does not light up. It is stuck in Sensing. I did some research and it looked like the door switch was the issue. Bought a new one and replaced it. Same issue. But, if i open and close several times it will randomly come on but only in a manual time mode. Cycle dial still does not light up and pressing the Control button gives the same three beeps as if the door were open
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of the appliance? And has it done this before?
Customer: Maytag MDG2700
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: nope
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. Sorry to hear you are having appliance trouble, I know how frustrating that can be! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

• Can you please double check your model number?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sorry MGD9700SQ0 And now it has changed. When I went down to check model #. The dial now has a light on Timed Dry, but moving the dial does not do anything.
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Thank you. Do you have a meter to test the polarity in the outlet? Reversed polarity can cause some odd things to happen with these electronic controls.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
House is only 8 years old. But, yes, I have a tester and yes, I just checked. Polarity is reporting correct.
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Okay, great, nice job! Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

1. Be sure the dryer is in standby mode (plugged in and all indicators off).

2. Press the following button sequence: + (more time), – (less time), + (more time), – (less time), all within 5 seconds.

3. All indicators on the console are illuminated with 88 showing in the Estimated Time Remaining (two-digit) display, if this test mode has been entered successfully.

Does it go into the service mode?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
All lights on. 88 in the time indicator
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Okay, now cancel and see if a normal cycle will start, please.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
how do i cancel?
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Press the OFF button.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No. Only Timed Dry lights up. Same as before. But at least now it is lighting that up consistently.
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

So no change when you turn the dial at all?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

I suspect there may be a harness loose between the main board and that front interface control. It is unlikely that a control has failed in just moving it, so I would start there. Screws on the back of the top panel will come out to allow the top to be removed. Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I already had the console out to be able to get to the door switch. I'll go back in and recheck the connectors. There are only two.
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Correct, if they are secure and in good shape, the low voltage interface control is most likely faulty since it did toggle into the diagnostic cycle okay.

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!