Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

What is the life expectance of a Kenmore gas range. Mine is

Customer Question

what is the life expectance of a Kenmore gas range. Mine is 9 years old and the last time I used the oven there was a small explosion as the gas ignited, I could smell gas just before ignition.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Kenmore is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It's a Kenmore ,will be 10 years old next month could not find model #
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: No I would need a service person. I'm considering the $285 service contract that is available until Sept 17 when the machine turns 10 years old. What do you think?
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The range is in good condition until this problem. All burner electrical ignition systems work, and the broiler is unused!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

It sounds like you just have a common issue where the oven igniter is getting weak and needs to be replaced. The igniter is about $50 for the part and mounted to the bake burner below the floor inside the oven. The igniters usually last about 7-8 years before they get to weak to draw 3.2 amps and then the gas valve may not open completely or if it does open it may not ignite properly. It's up to you if you want to put the unit under the contract or not but I think you just need a new igniter which would be less than the service contract. As for how long ovens last, usually 15 years or so before you run into bigger issues than something like this.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.