Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I ave a water leakf from the vent space that feeds cold air

Customer Question

i ave a water leakf from the vent space that feeds cold air to the fridge
JA: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?
Customer: hold on
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: if we can
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: yes if we can fix it our selves
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

Good morning. My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your refrigerator today. I'm sorry about the confusion before the wrong expert replied to this question. This is a very common issue and it means that your defrost drain line has frozen over and will need to be thawed out. This often times happens for no reason at all and is just random. You will need to remove everything out of your freezer and remove the back panel inside the freezer. Use a hair dryer to thaw all the ice out and locate the drain hole. Pour hot water down the drain hole until it's draining properly again. Once it's draining properly blow compressed air down to make sure it's clear. If you don't have compressed air, use a turkey baster to make sure the drain line is clear and draining properly. Cut a solid copper piece of wire about 6 inches long. Wrap it around the defrost heater a couple times just above the drain hole and extend it 2 inches into the defrost drain hole. That will transfer heat into the drain hole when the defrost heater turns on and will prevent the defrost drain line from freezing over in the future.

Also, if you didn't want to use a copper wire, there is an actual kit made which you can wrap around the heater if you wanted to buy the actual kit to perform this task.

CLICK HERE for kit

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.