Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

My board is gone. how do I test pump and diverter to see if

Customer Question

my board is gone. how do I test pump and diverter to see if that is the problem?
JA: What's the brand and model number of your appliance? How old is it?
Customer: F&P IW711
JA: What are all the symptoms of the problem (error codes, flashing lights, etc.)?
Customer: no power
JA: What happened just before this problem started? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: fuse in house went out. didn't hold any buttons down first. got board out. was fried. don't wona put new board in till check other bits
JA: Anything else you want the appliance expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

It is not likely that the board would be damaged without a direct short in a component. So, test from each terminal of each component to ground, looking for continuity. If they do not show shorted, they should give you no trouble. Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi.Yes I know to yes each thing. but my question was HOW.
I Have a multi meter and put on ommes and tested pump got 033.2. think it should be 150.0 to 160.0 is that right?
don't know how to test to ground.
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

There should be infinite resistance between each terminal on the components to the metal of the frame. So, set your meter to read resistance and place a lead on the metal of the cabinet and touch each terminal of the components (wires unplugged) and if the meter moves, there is a short.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
tried pump and diverter no movement on meter.
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

Okay, so they are not shorted. It sounds like a simple board failure. Look for any discolored wires on any of the components or any arc marks but I suspect replacing the board will restore operation.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Kelly.
Have not forgotten you.
I don't have a lot of spare time. so have not fixed washing machine yet. Should really get repair man but keen to do myself.
if I can ask another question. how would i check the spin motor. the wife tells me know that It didn't spin.
I have taken it off and do know there is the position censer on the motor as well.
did test and run the pump so that's good. and tested the diverter.
will now look for discoloured wires as you say above.
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

You can do the same test, see if the connections short to ground.