Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a front loading whirlpool clothes washer. I am

Customer Question

I have a front loading whirlpool clothes washer. I am getting the F21 code. This has happened before. The repairman told us that bcz of pet hair there is a filter that gets clogged. He said it was in back of the front lower panel. Problem I am having is that I don't know how to remove that lower panel to get to this filter. Can u help?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

So you are exactly right about the error. F21 means that the washer isn't draining well anymore and usually the filter just needs to be cleaned out. To access the drain catch, tip the machine backwards and lean it against the wall at a 45 degree angle or so. Remove the 3 screws along the bottom of the lower front panel. The screws should be 1/4" hex nut screws which can be removed with a socket or a nut driver. The lower front panel will then pull down and off. There is a 3" diameter plastic twist cap directly under the tub mounted to the floor. This is your drain cap. Unscrew the cap and clear any debris inside the drain catch. If you find nothing and the drain hose is clear, replace your drain pump.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?