Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore

I have a Kitchenaid dishwasher with a red lock icon showing

Customer Question

I have a Kitchenaid dishwasher with a red lock icon showing on the front panel. I don't know how to unlock it and am looking for answers.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your KitchenAid is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It's brand new. We bought it in November 2015.
JA: What are all the symptoms of the problem (error codes, flashing lights, etc.)?
Customer: Just a red icon that looks like a lock.
JA: What happened just before this problem started? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I don't know what happened. I loaded the dishwasher after dinner and when I tried to turn it on, it wouldn't. I looked at the front panel and saw the red icon (normally the panel shows blue and indicates the cycle the dishwasher is at.
JA: Anything else you want the appliance expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm looking through my records to find the model number and instructions.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 1 month ago.

Hello, this is Dave. You need to hold one of th buttons fpor three seconds. Which button depends on the model number. If you look closely for very small print you should see "Control Lock Hold for 3 Sec" under one button. Some models it will be a separate button labeled Control Lock and on my dishwasher it is the 4 Hour Delay button. If you can't find it I will need your model number and then I can tell you exactly which button to press. Let me know how it goes.