Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Attempting to troubleshoot igniter issues with a GE

Customer Question

Hello. Attempting to troubleshoot igniter issues with a GE ZGU375LSD2SS. Have removed 4 of 5 burner assemblies and brass orifice(s), last one (front right) just spins and spins with 20mm socket it will not extract as other 4 did. HELP.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. Sorry to hear you are having appliance trouble, I know how frustrating that can be! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

• The mounting stem is stripped if the nut will not turn off. What trouble are you having with the ignition system?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I figured as much. How do you remove a stripped brass orifice. The ignition will not provide a spark to any burner, so I was going to check (looked at the schematic) the transformer (110/220V) and finally look to the igniter unit feeding the burners. My rough guess is the transformer isn't supplying the entire ignition and knob light array.
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.

Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.

The orifices do not need to come out to get the top off. It is the nut on the burner base that is stripped, correct? See the attached page.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Kelly, thanks for the info however, the bottom burner base is being held in place by the orifice. I took the nut off the top of each top burner base with the 1 1/16" socket as instructed in the service manual and which gave me access to the bottom portion of the burner base, then removed, using the 20mm socket, each orifice tube because it prevents the bottom portion of the burner base from coming free. Just the last of all orifice's is turning (with very minor friction) without threading out of whatever gas feed is below. I therefore figure it's stripped and I can't seem to pry it up while using the socket wrench. I probably need some type of extraction tool I don't have. The more important question for the near term, is it safe to reassemble the cooktop except to not use the respective burner in question because I have to travel out of town for a week and the owners will need to use the other 4 burners?
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.

Yes, that will be fine. If they don't use that burner, it will be fine. You may need to drill it out if it has to come out. Would you like the service manual for that cooktop?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have the following GE Service Manual Document PUB # 31-9088 12/01 for this model. Do you have anything better?
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.

No, that is the manual for that model.